Apple Picking!


Over the weekend, I visited some friends of mine from college. I went to college at SUNY Oneonta in Oneonta, New York. I graduated from Oneonta this past May and I have many friends who still go to the school. It has been a long time since I have seen my friends and I am so glad that I was able to take the trip this weekend to reunite with them. On Saturday, we went apple picking at Middlefield Orchard in Cooperstown, New York. This was such a fun way to kick off the start of fall. Apple picking is a common activity that people do during the fall season. My friends and I each filled a bag with apples. The apples were red, juicy, and delicious! The type of apples that are ripening at this point in the month are called Red Delicious. My favorite part of our time at the orchard was taking a hay wagon ride. We rode around and got to see the colorful landscape from the changing colors of leaves. Before heading back to Oneonta, we stopped by the snack barn and bakery to pick up a bag of apple cider donuts, one of my favorite fall treats. I had a great time at the orchard catching up with my friends this weekend!

Apple Cider Donuts

Vocabulary:
College (noun)- a place of higher education that students apply to after high school
SUNY Oneonta (proper noun)- an acronym for The State University of New York College at Oneonta; a college in upstate New York
Hay Wagon Ride
Reunite (noun)- a regular course of procedure
Kick Off (idiom)- to start off
Fall (noun)- the season of the year in between summer and winter
Orchard (noun)- a place where fruit trees are grown
Hay Wagon (noun)- an open cart filled with hay used for visitor hay rides
Ripening (verb)- to grow to completeness
Landscape (noun)- all the visible features of an area of countryside or land
Treats (noun)- an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure


Vocabulary Exercise:


































Grammar Point: 
The passage above often uses proper nouns. A proper noun is a specific name of a particular person, place, or organization. Proper nouns are always spelled with initial capital letters.

For example: On Saturday, we went apple picking at Middlefield Orchard in Cooperstown, New York.
(Middlefield Orchard, Cooperstown, and New York are all capitalized because they are specific names of places.)

Grammar Exercise:
Write a brief journal entry in which you discuss what you did over the weekend, including at least two proper nouns. Be sure to correctly capitalize all proper nouns throughout your writing.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Information about Middlefield Orchard: http://middlefieldorchard.com/

Extra information about proper nouns from Grammarly: https://www.grammarly.com/blog/proper-nouns/ 


Comments

  1. Your day at the orchard sounds like it was so much fun! I liked how you made a crossword puzzle for the students. The practice of using proper nouns was a good idea. Students can go in depth about their experiences while making sure their grammar is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also went to undergrad at Oneonta! I graduated in 2018. What a small world. I loved how you used a cross word puzzle for the vocabulary, I would definitely like to include one in a future blog post.
    -Kerri McDonagh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! The crossword puzzle is a great way to check if the students understand the story and the vocabulary words. Perhaps you can incorporate technology by having students create a PowerPoint or Buncee presentation that shows what they did over the weekend. They can incorporate proper nouns in the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Upstate New York is beautiful in the fall. I went to SUNY Oswego, so I experienced it too, though there the main attraction is the lake and the enormous snow fall each year.
    zzlYou included all the important components, and I really liked the crossword puzzle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to School!

Halloween!